Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Possibilities

‘Jesus looked at them and said, “With man it is impossible, but not
with God. For all things are possible with God.”’ ~ Mark 10:27 (ESV)

Have you ever looked at a situation or circumstance you've faced and thought, "This is impossible! I'll never be able to..." I've done that several times. What are your hopes and dreams for the future? Do you find some of them difficult, if not impossible?

The Greek word for impossible is adynatos, which means:

1) without strength, impotent, powerless, weakly, disabled
2) unable to be done, impossible

I wonder how many of our dreams we render powerless and disable by this thinking. When we despair over the things we see as unable to be done we need to turn them over to God in prayer. We can be sure that if our dreams are His will, they will certainly be possible and will most definitely come to pass. As we saw in the verse above, Jesus Himself declared, "For all things are possible with God."

The Greek word for possible is dynatos, which means:

1) able, powerful, mighty, strong
a) mighty in wealth and influence
b) strong in soul
1) to bear calamities and trials with fortitude and patience
2) strong in Christian virtue
2) to be able (to do something)
a) mighty, excelling in something
b) having power for something

Possible is a word infused with faith and hope, assurance and trust. In times of crisis, we can trust that God will step in where we are weak and be our strength. He loves us so much and wants to do the possible for us.


I've seen time and again in my life how He has shown Himself able, powerful, mighty and strong, how He has born calimities and trials in my life with such astounding patience, and how His power and strength have worked in me to cause me to believe in His ability and strength when all else was bleak.


This week I am thankful that God has shown that He is able to do the impossible. I rejoice that He is not a weak or powerless God but that He has shown Himself to be more than able and ready to do the possible things He desires in my life.

I look back at how far I've come through so many seemingly impossible things (infertility, miscarriage, divorce, illnesses not only for myself but also for family and friends) and praise Him that I have grown stronger in my faith and in my walk with Him. Each time He has strengthened me in faith by revealing Himself to me as a God of the possible. When He reveals Himself to us in this way, we should always be quick to give thanks. I've been able to leave alot of the old behind, and what I haven't, I have certainly gained new perspective on. He truly is a God who makes all things possible!

Are you struggling with something seemingly impossible right now? Many times we try to make things possible ourselves, but we must remember the promise from Jesus in the verse above. Take heart that with God all things are possible!

P - Pray about your desires. "Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the LORD's purpose that prevails." ~ Proverbs 19:21 (NIV)

O - Openly praise Him for His blessings. "Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ." ~ Ephesians 1:3 (NIV)

S - Simply delight in God. "Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart." ~ Psalm 37:4 (NIV)

S - Strengthen yourself in your walk with God. "So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness." ~ Colossians 2:6-7 (NIV)

I - Imitate the faith of those who have gone before you. "Remember your leaders, who spoke the word of God to you. Consider the outcome of their way of life and imitate their faith." ~ Hebrews 13:7 (NIV)

B - Believe that you can do all things through Christ and not of yourself. "I can do everything through him who gives me strength." ~ Philippians 4:13 (NIV)

L - Leave worry behind. "Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?" ~ Matthew 6:26-28 (NIV)

E - Exalt God and remain humble. "Once more the humble will rejoice in the LORD; the needy will rejoice in the Holy One of Israel." ~ Isaiah 29:19 (NIV)

Note: This post originally ran 01/15/09.


Photobucket

6 comments:

Amico Dio said...

Great word, Laurie!

I've recently realized that it really isn't enough to just believe "in Him". We must "believe Him" and His word. All things are possible as long as we are in His will. Why do we sell ourselves short?

I hope you had an amazing holiday season!

WillSpirit said...

Lovely acronym. In the past few months my faith has been getting stronger and stronger. I don't identify myself as strictly Christian, but Truth is universal. Thank you for nice analysis on how we frustrate our dreams.

Nishant said...

nice blog i like it

Work from home India

cathy said...

Thank you for your beautiful blog it has inspired me so much. I'm am just getting started with blogging. I am so thankful that I am to.It is so good to know that the whole world isn't evil! And that some one besides me is trying to share the love of Jesus.PRAISE THE LORD!!!!
LOVE IN CHRIST CATHY

cathy said...

I love your blog it is truly inspiring. I am new at blogging and if you get 2 messages from me its because I pushed the wrong button the first time. Please forgive me I am still a work in progress.
LOVE IN CHRIST CATHY

king comforter sets on sale said...

I've recently realized that it really isn't enough to just believe "in Him". We must "believe Him" and His word. All things are possible as long as we are in His will. Why do we sell ourselves short? cotton percale sheet sets , double bed blanket cover